Advisement for students to explore transferring to a 4-year institution of higher learning

Actionable Takeaways

  • Schools should collaborate with partner campuses to identify advisors or offices responsible for transfer advising and support, and consider developing tailored programming and support services for early college high school students.
  • Schools and campuses should allow for regular opportunities for students to connect with transfer advisors to ensure they have access to guidance for making informed decisions about their academic plans and transfer options.

For students in early college high schools, connect them with transfer advisors at the college to ensure they understand what core courses and what major courses will transfer if they choose to continue their college education beyond a two-year Associate degree.

High schools can work with partner colleges to identify transfer advisors who can provide guidance and support to students who are interested in transferring to a four-year college or university. This may involve identifying specific advisors or offices that are responsible for transfer advising and support. High schools can work with these transfer advisors to develop programming and support services that are specifically tailored to the needs of early college high school students. This may involve offering workshops, seminars, or other events that provide information about the transfer process, including what core courses and major courses are likely to transfer to four-year colleges and universities.

High schools can also provide students with regular opportunities to connect with transfer advisors, such as through virtual or in-person office hours or one-on-one appointments. This can help ensure that students have access to the support they need to make informed decisions about their academic plans and transfer options.

High schools and colleges should work together to ensure that academic advising and course selection is aligned with students’ transfer goals. This may involve working with transfer advisors to identify which courses are most likely to transfer, and ensuring that students are aware of these options when selecting courses. Beyond just courses many higher education institutions may consider recognized certifications or credentials and award prior learning credits.

Students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan may wish to request accommodations or accessibility support through the higher education institution after a transfer. Every campus operates differently, and these disability offices may have different names and documentation requirements. If the student is found eligible, the disability office will develop an accommodation plan based on the documentation that the student provides. Colleges or universities are not required to provide modifications, which may alter the content that students are required to learn.

High schools should support transition planning by ensuring that dual enrollment and other forms of college awareness and preparation are discussed in IEP meetings. High schools should support students in locating the campus disability office and ensure they understand the process for obtaining higher education disability support. To assist, students should be provided information on Transition & College and Access Centers, who can support students with this process.

Finally, high schools and colleges can provide resources and support to help students navigate the transfer process, such as assistance with application materials, guidance on financial aid and scholarships, and support with the college transfer process. By providing these resources and support services, high schools and colleges can help ensure that early college high school students are well-prepared to continue their college education beyond a two-year associate degree. An example of such a resource, is the Transfer Awareness online system provided by CUNY which shows users how courses transfer in all directions across the CUNY system and how CUNY awards credits for courses taken elsewhere as well as for prior learning experiences.

Accessing College Now

Supported by funding from the New York State Education Department, New York City Public Schools, and CUNY, College Now supports dual enrollment and dual credit programming opportunities in New York City. For NYC public schools CUNY’s College Now program is the largest dual enrollment program in New York City, and schools and students incur no additional cost for participating.

For high schools wanting to partner with CUNY’s College Now program, please complete this application.